www.neumann.com
Forums:
Email:

Best mike for VO "trailers" U87 or TLM 193?
Author: Jack Luceno
Date: 06/20/2008
Hi New to the forum...need advice fast. I do VOs...ready to upgrade my mike. I seem to be hung up between the U87 and TLM 193...even the BCM 104 (tried it in amsterdam AES convention).....any thoughts..have bass/baritone voice....get alot of requests for 'trailers' or 'trailer like' VOs. Jack.....(sweating)  

Re: Best mike for VO "trailers" U87 or TLM 193?
Author: Klaus Heyne
Date: 06/21/2008
The U87 will have more edge/definition in the vocal range you describe. That's why you will find the U87 in many, many Voice Over studios, and with many other voice and radio commercial talent as well. It's been the secret weapon for major film studios for their VO and even foley work for decades.

The U89 capsule, as used in the TLM193, is a bit less prominent in the vocal range and lends itself often better to orchestral instrument applications where the edge of instrument, especially in close-up recording, needs to be tamed  

Re: Best mike for VO "trailers" U87 or TLM 193?
Author: Jack Luceno
Date: 06/21/2008
Hi Klaus
Thanks alot for responding! You told me exactly what I wanted to hear....particularly as my impatience got the best of me, so I bought a new U87 before a reply here. I was able to listen to both 193 and U87 in a studio just before to compare....and was hoping for a clear winner. Thought the U87 edged out the 193...but did so just barely to my ear. Engineer said the U87 was fairly old...maybe had lost a little? Paid as much for the U87 as my first year in college (long ago)! Couldn't leave well enough alone...was feeling reckless, so i bought a BCM 104 as well. I had recently heard that at the AES convention in Amsterdam. It was on a demo rack of six Neumanns. Thought it sounded as good or better than all of them (maybe because gain was set equally on all six mikes and BCM 104 being smaller and was therefore louder? Anyway..can't afford it but "it's done now"! Used to feel this way when I bought a car....."am I losing it completely"? Fingers crossed.....Thanks!
Jack