www.neumann.com
Forums:
Email:

kk 133
Author: Philip H. Davis
Date: 04/19/2012
A question for Mr. Schneider, if you please:
I note with great interest the new km a series and particularly the capsule KK 133. I note that its membrane is nickel, and that its HF emphasis is given as 4-5 db at 12K (as opposed to my old ak 30, some 8 db at 12k). If I understand this correctly, it would represent a tremendously powerful new tool for those of us who have found the old 83/183/130 excessively bright for most aplications. Also, with diffraction sphere fitted, might the 133 more closely approximate the TLM 150S?
A final question: I understand the old KM 100 system to utilize an active capsule with passive output stage, whereas the new KK offerings appear to use passive capsules and an active output stage (either analog or digital) - have I got that right? I'm an old man, but I'm trying to keep up!
Many thanks - Phil Davis, Cape Ann Recording (US)  

Re: kk 133
Author: John Willett
The KK133 is a great capsule, but it's *NOT* a nickel membrane.

If you want a nickel membrane you need to get the Gefell M221, as Neumann Berlin cannot make nickel diaphragms ;-)

The KK133 has a *titanium* membrane.

The KK133 is a *very* nice capsule - it's basically the same capsule that was used for the M150 and TLM50, but with the KK133 you have the option of using it without the sphere.

The KK133 is great for a Decca Tree, it gives the same response as the M150 / TLM50 but slightly better as it's in a smaller housing without the large metal screen. It's also very much lighter and a great choice.

John Willett
Circle Sound Services  

Author: Philip H. Davis
John - many thanks! Now to start saving my pennies.
Best to you and to all - Phil Davis  

Author: Martin Schneider/Neumann
...and, yes, the 133 fills the gap between the brightish 130 / 183, and the flat 131.
It's the identical all-titanium capsule construction (not only the diaphragm!) as used in TLM 50 / M150. We added a protective front plate to it, in order to make it really difficult to pierce the diaphragm...

Best regards,
Martin Schneider / Neumann Mic. Development