www.neumann.com
Forums:
Email:

comparing KMS 104 and KMS 105
Author: Anet Landoi
Date: 02/12/2013
Hi, I am a singer and have been struggling with the decision to purchase one of these mics. I have been testing out the sennheiser e965 to compare and found that it sounds a little more muddy or dark compared to the Neumann. I do not have a bright tone, my voice is dark to begin with, except on some high notes where if hit on a certain vowel can come across a bit annoying so I am trying to decide for live performance which would be the right choice as well as if there is actually any difference between the silver and black in either models, I was told there actually is a different pick up patter....is this true?  

Re: comparing KMS 104 and KMS 105
Author: John Willett
Date: 02/13/2013
The only difference in the "silver" and "black" versions is in the colour of the microphone body.

They are identical except for your choice of body colour.

It may have been that someone was listening to the KMS 104 PLUS and thinking it was a standard KM 104.

The PLUS version has more at the bass end.

John Willett
Circle Sound Services  

Author: Anet Landoi
Date: 02/15/2013
Thanks for your reply. Actually wanted to ask you what is the main difference between the KMS 105 and the Sennheiser e965, which would be better for live performance and which one would benefit a rich female voice more.  

Author: John Willett
Date: 02/15/2013
I would say it's down to personal choice.

Try both and see which works best for you.

The Sennheiser is switchable pattern: cardioid / super-cardioid, which may be useful. But Neumann are the experts in AF condenser microphone design; I think the e965 was the very first AF condenser mic. that Sennheiser made.

They are all good, you really just need to try and see which works best for you.

John Willett
Circle Sound Services