www.neumann.com
Forums:
Email:

Forums / Archive / Thread
Neumann Today
Author: Posted by Tom Hartman
Date: 02/15/2004
I have always been a huge Neumann fan, so let me say that at the start.
But lately, on many forums up here on the internet, I have noticed a pretty heavy backlash against the company by end users, who feel that Neumann has grown complacent. If you dare even mention the U87 on many audio forums, you will be deluged with responses saying 'It's a good mic, but for the price, and less, nowadays you can get way more mic from Soundelux and others.' They site mics like the U99, the U195, the Brauner Phantom, and the AT 4060. Though the TLM103 and the M149 still have a large group of fans, it's disturbing to me to see how the 87 has grown so out of favor for anything but drum overheads and voice over work.
There seems to the feeling that Neumann is resting too much on it's glory days, and not competing enough with companies like those mentioned above, BLUE, and others. Neumann has always meant 'Best Vocal Mic' to me, but I have to agree that especially now with the price increase to US customers, it is fast growing out the realm of many when mics like those above are now available.
The only time Neumann U87s are mentioned as being great vocal mics on these forums is when they are talking about Klaus Heyne or Stephen Paul modified version, pushing the price up even further. To make matters worse, the advice is ALWAYS to find an old U87, and avoid the current AI model, for audio quality's sake.
I hate to see Neumann be a company that is famous for mics that are no longer made. I have heard it said that Neumann is not interested in making a U67 again...even though it's imminently doable, because they want to do 'new' things. But there aren't any 'new' things out there. The M-147 has been a letdown to many for vocals (I have one and like it), the M-149 controversial, and the famous U87 besieged by competition from mics far less expensive. I hope Neumann makes a conscious decision to enter the vocal sweepstakes again with some new, hopefully tube driven, entries into the market that re-establish it as the frontrunner when deciding on a vocal mic.
When is the last time any of you saw a lead vocalist in a hit making group singing in front of a current model Neumann? All I see is BLUE Bottles, Telefunken 251s, M49s, U47s, SONY 800gs, etc. in any videos out there.
Appreciate the chance to state all this....I am a huge Neumann fan and end up being overwhelmed on these other forums, finding myself defending a company that should need no defense.  
Posted by Tom Hartman
02/15/2004

Posted by dan.dan
02/15/2004

Posted by arthur
02/16/2004

Posted by Mike Pappas
02/16/2004

Posted by Klaus Heyne
02/17/2004

Posted by dan.dan
02/17/2004