www.neumann.com
Forums:
Email:

Forums / Archive / Thread
Re: what you can't measure
Author: Posted by Tom
Date: 04/13/2004

'One is reminded that legend has it...'
This just about perfectly states the 'hard line subjectivist' point of view: People who like to rely on measurements and tests are 'Hard Line'; People who can judge quality by the label or price are justified in relying on 'legend' as if it were fact.
No serious 'objectivist' pretends that we have perfected our knowledge. Objectivists believe that we have learned a lot about physics, chemistry, electricity, acoustics, etc. and can make pretty reasonable assessments based on that knowledge. But all the objectivists I know also revel in the fact that we learn more each year, and with new knowledge comes new, better and more informative ways of measuring and assessing.
In contrast, there are people who absolutely reject concepts like double blind testing, and who can look at wire and see its directionality. Their vision seems to improve if they can see the label or price tag on the wire.
Strangely, it is often the objectivists who will reach for an old RCA or Shure ribbon, rather than the latest wizbang Neumann mic - if a project calls for it. The less objective user will go for the Neumann, particularly if it's a tube mic, simply because the label is 'better' and the price is higher.
One of the things which is NOT legend, but fact is that some advertising literature for the newly introduced U-67 was that it dealt with perceived limitations of the U-47. Now, what subjectivist would ever be willing to concede there were perceived problems with the timeless U-47?
It doesn't take a lot of experience or actual thought to figure out benefits offered by putting the U-67 capsule into a solid state mic. Accepting that the U-87 was a reasonable evolution (which seems to have lasted, despite some folks nostalgia for the U-67) doesn't need to disparage the mics which preceded it.
(Of course, I could be wrong in all of this. If anyone has some contemporaneous Neumann literature in which Neumann claimed there was no difference between the U-67 and the U-87, I'd love to see it - and love to get a copy for my collection.)
Cordially, Tom  
Posted by Oliver Archut
04/12/2004

Posted by arthur
04/13/2004

Posted by dan.dan
04/13/2004

Posted by arthur
04/14/2004

Posted by dan.dan
04/14/2004

Posted by arthur