www.neumann.com
Forums:
Email:

Forums / Other Topics / Thread
Re: KM100 series wireless Phantom Power problem
Author: David Satz
Date: 01/07/2012
Please pardon me, but I don't want to let such a basic error go by unremarked: the claim that the output circuit of the KM 100 series is "not balanced." An output circuit is balanced if its signal is presented as the difference in voltage between two modulation leads at the same, non-zero impedance with respect to circuit ground. It isn't necessary for both leads to be actively driven; the "balancedness" comes not from their having equal and opposite voltages on them, but from their having equal impedance. That is what allows a balanced input circuit in a preamp, recorder or mixer to reject interference when the microphone is connected via balanced cable.

There can be advantages to an output circuit that is symmetrical with regard to the signal voltage on the two modulation leads, but there are also costs, both in a technical and a pecuniary sense. These are matters of design which different manufacturers may see differently. But that's a rather separate issue from whether or not such microphones as the Neumann KM 100 series (and as far as I'm aware, all other present-day Neumann transformerless microphones) have balanced outputs. The answer is that they definitely do.

That said, let me just point out that standards exist for balanced audio components and for unbalanced audio components, but there are no standards for connecting equipment of the one kind to equipment of the other kind. So it comes down to case-by-case solutions, some of which may be less convenient than others.

--best regards  

Craig Stauffer
01/05/2012
Uwe Sattler/NeumannUSA
01/05/2012
Craig Stauffer
01/05/2012
Uwe Sattler/NeumannUSA
01/05/2012
Craig Stauffer
01/05/2012
Martin Schneider/Neumann