www.neumann.com
Forums:
Email:

Re: "upside down" mic?
Author: michael roscael
Date: 03/06/2013
Right, I understand that part of it. But you mentioned the mic is axially asymmetrical vertically.

So i am wondering whether there would be a scenario where I would want to use that difference in the way the mic picks up sound on the vertical axis to my advantage.

For example, if there is more of a low roll off when approaching the mic from the "body" side, it may be advantageous for me to record a boomy guitar from that angle to tame that boomy-ness?

Or if my floor is very reflective and I want to capture more of that while recording vocals, would it be advantageous to have the mic upside down (with the body pointing up and the grille pointing down) to capture more of that reflection? And, conversely, if I wanted to capture less of that reflection, would i orient the mic in a rightside up position? (because even though I am singing directly into the mic, it picks up reflections on the vertical axis)

(these, of course, are completely hypothetical scenarios since I do not know how the sound differs on the vertical axis)

So my question is really about the vertical characteristics of the mic itself.

I don't believe I have ever seen a graph of the polar pattern as it relates to the vertical axis.

Is there a measurable difference?

Thank you again.  

michael roscael
03/04/2013
Martin Schneider/Neumann
03/06/2013
michael roscael
03/06/2013
Martin Schneider/Neumann
03/06/2013
michael roscael
03/06/2013