www.neumann.com
Forums:
Email:

Uses of U64s
Author: Dana Whitehair
Date: 09/08/2016
Earlier in my career, I was fortunate enough to have ready access to a handful of KM84s, which I used quite often to record live, on-location chamber music performances...which great success, I might add. Using them in a X-Y coincident arrangement produced some wonderful recordings.

So, here it is thirty-five years later, and I unearth four U64s (two of which have sequential serial numbers) among a pile of equipment untouched for quite a few years. At the time, I didn't even know U64s existed. But, I've done a lot of homework since then and value these little wonders...particularly if I can lay my hands on a bagful of Nuvistors to have in reserve.

Anywho, here's my question: I had such success using the KM84s for on-location work that I can't help but be curious how useful the U64s might be in similar circumstances. However, because they're tube mics and have a rather bulky, 4 in/out power supply, my gut instinct tells me to relegate them to studio use ONLY.

Has anyone taken U64s out into the "big bad world" for live, on-location recordings? Or should they be forever studio-bound? Thanks! DEW  

Dana Whitehair
09/08/2016
Martin Schneider/Neumann
09/10/2016