Zero Tolerance: The Master Class for Instrumental Recordings
Without any doubt, you must have heard the KM 184 in various recordings, as it is the go-to instrument microphone in countless studios around the globe. Its strengths: A natural sound reproduction (also of voices), an entirely uncolored and authentic sound character and the ability to handle high sound levels. More...
Premium Package: That's all there*
- Exclusive "10 years warranty certificate" for your microphone (More)
- "Recording secrets for the small studio" (460 pages, english)
- Trendy shoulder bag from Neumann.Berlin
- High quality notebook from Neumann.Berlin
- Notice: shipment will be separate from the product and shipped directly from the Neumann.Berlin headquarters. Therefore the delivery time can be up to 12 business days.
*This campaign ends on November 29, 2017
More about the KM 184
Experienced users often describe the sound of our small diaphragm microphone as „fresh“ and „vivid”. This is – among other factors – due to a slight treble lift around 9 kilohertz. The KM 184 is an experienced all-rounder, a mic for all seasons. It captures virtually any instrument with amazing complexity and depth of sound.
Another advantage: thanks to the extremely tight production tolerances, all KM 184 microphones produce a very consistent sound. Therefore, they can easily be used as a stereo pair with exact spatial imaging for all stereo recording methods.
- Versatile small membrane microphone primarily for instrumental recordings
- Slight treble lift for fresh and vivid sound
- Precise cardioid directionality with excellent rejection of rearward sound
- Uncolored reproduction of neighboring sound sources
- Tight production tolerances – perfect for stereo recordings
- Close and distant miking of instruments
- Stereo and live-recordings
- Spot microphone for solo and ensemble recordings
- Overhead (drums/percussion)
- Announcer microphone
Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
Directional pattern: cardioid
Frequency range: 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 15 mV/Pa
Rated impedance: 50 ohms
Rated load impedance: 1 kohms
Equivalent noise level, CCIR1): 22 dB
Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1): 13 dB-A
Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 72 dB
Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 81 dB
Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2): 138 dB
Maximum output voltage: 10 dBu
Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938): 48 V ± 4 V
Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3.2 mA
Matching connectors: XLR 3F
Weight approx.: 80 g
Diameter: 22 mm
Length: 107 mm
1) according to IEC 60268-1; CCIR-weighting acccording to CCIR 468-3, quasi peak; A-weighting according to IEC 61672-1, RMS
2) measured as equivalent el. input signal
The KM 184 is available in nickel and matte black with a swivel mount and a foam windscreen. The swivel mount serves to mount the microphone on a microphone stand, a table stand, etc. A microphone stand is not part of the delivery scope. An adapter for all common microphone stand threads is included. For more accessories see also here.
We also offer the KM 184 as a stereo set in a wooden box.